The table of competencies below is an example of a profile for the post of Play Therapist which could be used for:
- A basis for a job description
- Designing a play therapy training programme
- Setting remuneration scales
- Assessing performance
The listing of competencies in the profile is first by type of competency and secondly by importance.
In this example an experienced practitioner is required to have:
- ALL of the mandatory competencies which total 1250 points
At least 11 of the desirable competencies of which:
- 5 must relate to techniques (110 points)
- 4 must relate to conditions (120 points)
- 2 must relate to settings (60 points)
Optional competencies: Although none of these are required they will add value to the therapist.
Total Points Required: 1600
Remember that is an example, not a definitive statement that will fit all play therapy positions. PTI offers service to employers of play therapy practitioners and training providers to develop a competency profile that best meets the needs of the situation.